Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Styrofoam ceiling

"ransley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 5, 8:38 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

I am renovating a room with a concrete ceiling. Previous ceiling (wood
paneling)
had been removed. The concrete ceiling is a bit uneven and requires
smoothing
which I'd rather not do.

I am thinking of paneling the ceiling with styrofoam sheet about two
inches
thick. I 've got some good quality styrofoam (smooth - not grainy) I
coul
just
glue there.

My question is about the lights. I haven't yet selected any lights but
other
rooms have recessed halogens lights eyebulb style.

Halogens tend to get hot and styrofoam could melt . How much room
should I
cut
for the 50w lights? (a ball park estimate)

I'm just guessing, but I BELIEVE styrofoam would create some very
interesting fumes in a fire. You'd better research this carefully. If I
were
you, I'd check the building code in your town, and maybe speak to someone
at
a real building supply dealer. Not Home Depot, not Lowe's. A real
supplier.- Hide quoted text -

Foam offgasses for maybe years, it must be sealed and its hard to do.
You also must seal it perfectly tight with no air allowed behind it or
condensation and mold will occure, it happened to me. 2" of red or
blue is only R 11. Foilfaced polyisocyanurate is R 14.4. Foam also
does not allow moisture through, working with foams takes planning and
knowledge. Do it wrong and you can create many problems down the
road.

The OP is not talking about insulation quality. He wants to use styrofoam to
smooth an uneven ceiling, and then, melting it with halogen lights.

Heh.