Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Big problem due to time change

observer wrote:

If I recall the time change was originally done for the farmers but my
memory is a bit fuzzy on this. ...

Certainly is! (We farmers are typically the ones most ag'in it--it's
the city slickers who want their weekends barbeques to start early).

Actually, the original idea in the US was first widely proposed by
Franklin and, was then, as now, designed w/ the idea of maximizing
office hours w/ daylight as an energy conservation measure--in those
days, candle tallow/whale oil/etc.

Now, it's justified by the same, but as noted is mostly the office
workers' dream to have time for their round of golf in the afternoon.

Meanwhile the farmer is still on the sun, year-round. It simply means
his day doesn't end until after 11PM by the clock if he changes it in
the midsummer days...