Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

QUESTIONS:

* Why should I consider the Nova (
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20011
) over the Jet ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5225
) ?

The Nova has a a lower min RPM and a larger swing over the bed.

The Jet has a larger capacity between centers (you can get extension beds
for both) and is quite a bit heavier if you get the cast iron legs.

* With regard to "As mentioned, 90 is plenty. Anything else
complicates things." can you elaborate on this? ... as it seems all
units now have 360 ...
personally I dont see much use for more than 90 ... or
even 45 ... from my experience

I think headstocks either rotate or they don't. The 90 vs 45 vs 360 is a
non-issue. I don't think I have ever been past 90 on my 1442 (with which, I
have been very happy). I rotate the headstock often. It allows me to get a
more comfortable stance. That said, most, if not all higher end (pro) lathes
do not have a rotating headstock, and the pros get along just fine.

I have never touched the Nova. Had it been available when I was buying, I
would have looked seriously at that model. FWW liked it in a recent review.

-Steve