Posted to alt.home.repair
brian brian is offline

Default circuit tester indicates 'hot/neutral reverse at an outlet...but nothing works at it.

On Nov 4, 1:34 pm, dpb wrote:
brian wrote:

Yes, these outlets have never worked since house was built in 1974.

So, it's time to quit measuring and start fixing...

Cut these off at the breaker and check. I'm thinking it's possible
there was a mis-wiring originally where the two hots of two circuits got
crossed to the neutral of an extension -- or, somebody added on and got
the wrong one.

It's possible you'll find it takes two breakers to "kill" both hot wires
if I'm right...

--

I am thinking there was a mis-wiring myself when the house was built
in 1974.

In tracing down what the breaker (15 Amp) serves, I found what seemed
to me as a long run off of this one breaker.

It supplies: (at least) 2 ceiling outlets in a storage room, a ceiling
outlet in a closet, one hall outlet, 2 ceiling outlets in a hallway, 3
wall outlets in one bedroom, a ceiling outlet in another closet,
vanity lighting outlet in a bath (maybe a wall outlet and a small in-
wall electric radiant heater w/fan, maybe ceiling exhaust fan in the
bath too), one other wall outlet in kitchen. These rooms are adjacent
but cover a lot of turf.

I was wondering if these two non functioning outlets might indeed be
connected somehow to two circuits. I still haven't even opened an
outlet yet. When I shut off the one known breaker to the two bad
outlets (non-functioning) it seems to have killed the juice as no lamp
was lit on the test lamp.

Makes me think it would be nice if after the wiring was run in a
house, before drywall hung, photos (or now a video) of every wall
would be taken. It would sure be convenient to aid following the
wiring.... I know, I'm dreamin'.