Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

In article .com,
wrote:

Any advice as to what to look for?

Unless you are in a very lathe-rich area, start with what you can find.
Be aware of what the recent cheap Chinese versions look like, and some
of the various names they might be called, and what they can be had for
from Harbor Freight on sale. Whether or not you choose to buy one,
paying too much for it stinks if you do. Likewise with Sears (there's
someone local to me that's been trying to unload one at more-or-less
list price for months - either daft, or patiently waiting for a sucker.)

But if you have a choice, avoid them in favor of (generally older) North
American iron - Delta, Powermatic, General, Yates-American. There are
some nice british Myfords running about - not too common on this side of
the pond, but quite good. I personally have veered into much older, but
that may not be for everyone (3 of my lathes are more than 100, and
perhaps 125, years old - 2 FE Reed's and a Faye & Scott). Now, if
someone happens to be selling off a One-Way, and the price and condition
suit, buy it - but that's a much less common find, simply because they
are much newer.

Unless & until you know more than you presently do, avoid metal-working
lathes - they are set up somewhat differently than wood lathes, and
modifying one for woodturning is a project best engaged in when you have
a lot better idea of what you are trying to do.

If you find a lathe, typically from either a "serious" shop or a school
that has a 3-phase motor, don't panic. Do try to negotiate a lower
price. Then go buy a 1 phase in, 3 phase out VFD (Variable Frequency
Drive) for about $100-$200 - you get a lathe that has a nice variable
speed system, and you don't have to have the power company rewire your
house, or go find a new motor.