Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] arthur.moore@verizon.net is offline

Default Massachusetts Building Code

Not really. You can do it yourself here and I am trying to remember the full
details, I am pretty sure you have to put up some kind of bond. And you are
asked questions, not sure if it is in the form of a test. And you are
inspected very carefully(you know what I mean). I do know for sure it can be
done for electrical. I do not know anyone first hand that has done it. I had
always understood in MA we could not do any electrical or plumbing here
since they passed a law some years ago. Only reason I have any knowledge of
this is my electrician who explained to me it could be done by a homeowner
under conditions and that they make it near impossible with very technical
stuff. I had tried many years ago when I added a small stairway to my house
to get a permit to put in one light in the stairway and was turned down and
was told it could only be done by a licensed electrician. They really are a
pain here. My electrician at least let's me help so I can keep some of the
bill down. We are talking legal here. Good luck.