Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Massachusetts Building Code

Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own
electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?

A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a
licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house
interior without a permit?

Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so
long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?

Thank you,

fpb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own
electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?

A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a
licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house
interior without a permit?

Not likely. Here in New Jersey a homeowner can work on his/her own single
family detached house as long as it is not a rental unit, but a permit would
still be required. You are better off having a permit and getting the work
inspected.

Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so
long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?

You had better consult with a plumber who is willing to do that BEFORE you
start. By having him sign off on your work he assumes the responsibility
for your installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own
electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?

A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a
licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house
interior without a permit?

Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so
long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?

MA is big on licensing for most anything. Check your local inspector before
you start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not really. You can do it yourself here and I am trying to remember the full
details, I am pretty sure you have to put up some kind of bond. And you are
asked questions, not sure if it is in the form of a test. And you are
inspected very carefully(you know what I mean). I do know for sure it can be
done for electrical. I do not know anyone first hand that has done it. I had
always understood in MA we could not do any electrical or plumbing here
since they passed a law some years ago. Only reason I have any knowledge of
this is my electrician who explained to me it could be done by a homeowner
under conditions and that they make it near impossible with very technical
stuff. I had tried many years ago when I added a small stairway to my house
to get a permit to put in one light in the stairway and was turned down and
was told it could only be done by a licensed electrician. They really are a
pain here. My electrician at least let's me help so I can keep some of the
bill down. We are talking legal here. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own
electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?

A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a
licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house
interior without a permit?

Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so
long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterm...=4&L0=Home&L1=
Consumer+Protection+%26+Business+Licensing&L2=Lice nse+
Type+by+Business+Area&L3=Home+Improvement+Contract or&
sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=dps_faq_homeowners&c sid=Eeops

"A homeowner may choose to hire anyone he/she wishes to perform work on
his\her own home, or a homeowner may choose to perform work his\herself.
However, before making any decisions, please consider the following
information:

If you choose to perform building construction work on your own home
or if you choose to hire unlicensed, unregistered persons, you must
secure a permit under what is called the homeowner exemption (see 780
CMR, Section 108.3.5 below). In doing so, you assume all
responsibility for the project (i.e. ensuring the end product conforms
with all pertinent codes, laws and ordinances) and you forfeit any and
all rights under the CSL and HIC programs."

You'll obviously want to dig into the above in more detail. There may
also be additional restrictions at the local level beyond simple the
State requirements. Overall, they're part of the mindset states that
try to eliminate as much as possible, it appears...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own
electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?

A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a
licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house
interior without a permit?

Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so
long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?

Telephone the city hall building permits office. Mass.
law is no secret . . .

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own
electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?

A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a
licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house
interior without a permit?

Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so
long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?

Here's a novel thought. Although, this might sound a bit crazy. Why don't
you ask your own building department?

Posted to alt.home.repair

in pittsburgh area retired plumbers inspect everything, and enjoy
giving homeowners a tough time..

after all its costing their still employeed friends $$$$

Posted to alt.home.repair

And yet (if I remember This Old House correctly) they allow plastic
electrical boxes including breaker panels. Or were they in another state
that day?

It's one thing to allow Romex but IMHO plastic boxes is going too far since
you figure if there is going to be a problem it's more likely to be at a
box location. At least use metal there. Just my opinion.