Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Lost track of receptacle wires (DIA) & no rear push in on replacement plug

On 2007-11-04, Chip C wrote:

(See, our thinking is that this is a standard split-duplex
receptacle, pretty common in kitchens though no longer code in the
US, with a standard two-wire circuit feeding off it to another
outlet or light.)

Why do you say that a split-duplex receptacle on a multi-wire branch
circuit is no longer code in the US? I'm not aware of that.

To put this back together "right" you should be making pigtails by
joining short wires to the ones that come into the box, so only one
wire goes to each screw on the outlet.

Under the NEC, this is required for the neutral (grounded conductor)
on multi-wire branch circuits, but not for the hot (phase) conductors.
Many, of course, consider this good workmanship for all connections to
a receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne