Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Erica Eshoo Erica Eshoo is offline

Default How to recover a crashed laptop hard disk (windows NTFS)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 06:12:24 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
but the video implies that the power supply "pushes" the current

Just a clumsy description.

I think I get what Rod Speed is saying.
When I start my blender, the lights dim for a second in my California
kitchen. Then everything is fine.

I think what Rod Speed is saying is, if the hard disk drive motor is
drawing too much current for the original power supply to handle, then
adding a larger capacity (more current) power supply, will allow it to draw
more current than the original power supply could handle.

That, in an emergency situation such as mine, might be the way to free a
"stuck" drive.

As noted, my drive isn't stuck - it's just clicking and spinning until the
clicking gives up ... so I think I'll give up on the larger power supply.
Plus, I'm using the Vantec IDE-to-USB adapter which comes with its own
power supply.

Funny thing, the hard drives I tested STILL WORK on the Vantec IDE-to-USB
adapter even without plugging in the external power supply. I guess they
get power from the USB - but I'll use the external power supply also to
power the naked laptop hard disk drive.

The good thing is we're learning - the bad thing is that we probably can't
use any freeware on earth to resurrect this drive ... or can we?