Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry D[_2_] Terry D[_2_] is offline

Default Soldering brass

"Zeke" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 4 Nov, 13:31, "Terry D" wrote:
I've been attempting to solder a small fitting from my toilet seat which
is
broken in half. The item has the appearance of brass all the way through
but the solder will not take. I have thoroughly cleaned the item by wire
brushing and acetone. I am using insulated jaws on my vice and heating
the
parts with a blowtorch before using resin cored solder. However, no
matter
what the temperature, I cannot tin the surface of the metal. Any ideas?

Terry D.

Dare I say it - why not replace the fittings?

I originally called out my plumber because of a leaking toilet seal and I
didn't feel too enthusiastic about doing the job myself. The toilet bowl
has also wobbled for years and I have been unable to tighten the screws.
Anyway, the plumber attempted to remove the screws and in front of my eyes
cracked the pan, then stated that I now needed a new toilet. The new toilet
was fitted the same day and is a good quality Twyford. Unfortunately this
was last Tuesday and he still hasn't returned to fit the seat. Fortunately
I have another toilet in the bathroom. I thought I would replace the
original seat (which is nice warm wood), but due to seized screws, I broke
the fitting. I have already priced new fittings on the internet.

Do you think I have any claim against the plumber for breaking the pan or
should I try claiming on my house insurance for the new toilet? I think I'm
due for a claim, having only made one claim in my entire life. It's time I
got some of my premiums back from these greedy insurance companies. The
evidence is still in my back garden.

I heard that my local police station had their toilet stolen recently. The
plods are investigating the crime but still have nothing to go on. Boom
Boom.

Terry D.