Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Spinning...

Buy_Sell wrote:

Anyone spinning metal? I just got these DVDs and thought that they
were excellent.
http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/

I have both sets and found them very good. If your discs are DVD
recordable rather than mask produced I might consider making a backup
though. I was surprised to find both copies I have of the 1 DVD set were
corrupted after a little over a year and viewing about 3 times, a couple
of the DVDs were almost unplayable for large parts. I posted on the old
BB and got the response that all media were the highest quality TDK and
had the thread locked as off topic. I later did some investigation and
the following I sent to Terry but got no reply.

In the course of investigating whether the DVDs I am using for software
backup were most suitable I came across the following article
http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/20...rchival-media/
, this lead me to check the 6 disks you have provided and the Verbatim
DVD+R I use. The following is the result of testing the 6 disks you
provided and the ratings are from this page
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm .

1st DVD set, set 1

2 x RITEK R03 DVD+R (2nd class media, notes: degradation
concerns), DVD+R better than -R from 1st sited article but poorer media.

1st DVD set, set 2

1 x TYG02 DVD-R (1st class media), 1x PRODISCF01 DVD-R (2nd class
media),

2nd DVD set

2 x TTG02 DVD-R (1st class media, actually TDK)

So it seems the latest DVD set is TDK but the earlier corrupted ones are
not although the 1st sited article did mention TDK selling Taiyo Yuden
disks which might be the single TYG02 disk in the 1st sets, the other 3
1st set disks being on poorer quality media. Interesting that one of the
1st DVD sets was DVD+R, which is said to be far better than DVD-R but
overall 4 out of the 6 DVDs I have from you are DVD-R.