Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default 220 volt motor wiring

DJ Delorie wrote in :

*snip*

Other tidbits... In polarized outlets, the wider prong is neutral.
Outlets should be installed with ground "up" so if the plug is loose,
anything falling in there will hit ground first. All metal boxes and
conduits must be connected to ground, but should not be used *as*
ground. Wires should be attached to 2x4 wall studs at the center, to
avoid getting damaged by sheetrock screws.

So that's why they switched positions! I got used to the "face" and was
wondering why the new outlets were positioned "upside down." Is this a
NEC requirement, or just something for extra safety?

Puckdropper