Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default 220 volt motor wiring

Alexander Rabinovich wrote:
Hello.
I'm sure this has been posted about in here before, but I don't know
how to find it. So I'll ask again.

I am running a 220 line for my new (used) tablesaw. What does the
ground attach to in the breaker box? Does it go to the neutral bus
bar, or elsewhere?

If you're using three conductors plus ground, red and black go to the
breaker, white goes to the neutral bus bar, green/bare goes to the
ground bus bar.

If you're using two conductors plus ground then black and white (mark
the white conductor red at both ends with paint, tape, or heat
shrink--I forget what marking method code calls for) go to the breaker
and green/bare goes to the ground bus bar.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)