Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie DJ Delorie is offline

Default 220 volt motor wiring

"Alexander Rabinovich" writes:
I am running a 220 line for my new (used) tablesaw. What does the ground
attach to in the breaker box? Does it go to the neutral bus bar, or
elsewhere?

[I am not a licensed electrician. Always follow local code and
ordinances.]

Ground (green/bare) always goes to ground. Always. Your main breaker
box may be the ground/neutral strapping point, though, in which case
both bus bars are connected together and it shouldn't matter which you
use (unless the existing wires are segregated, in which case, use the
same as as the other ground wires).

A 120v circuit uses one line to the breaker (black) and one line to
neutral (white), in addition to ground.

A 240v circuit has two options:

1. Two lines to each pole of a dual-pole breaker (supposed to be
black/red, so if you use two-conductor cable (which is black/white)
you should use a red marker to mark the white wires).

2. Two lines to each pole of a dual-pole breaker (as above) and a
third line (white) to neutral.

Table saws almost laways use #1.

Color summary:

Green/bare - ground.

White - neutral.

Black - hot (breaker or dual breaker).

Red - hot #2 (dual breaker).

Now, within the tool the colors may not be so obvious (they should be,
but they may not be). However, one wire should be physically
connected to the metal chassis or the metal case of the motor. This
wire is ground.

Any plugs/outlets you may install should have information on them
about which wires go where, but usually there's one screw that's
greenish (ground), one that's silverish (white, neutral) and one
that's bronze (black, hot). 240v outlets will have two bronze screws,
and may label them "L1" and "L2". No, it doesn't matter which hot is
which.

Other tidbits... In polarized outlets, the wider prong is neutral.
Outlets should be installed with ground "up" so if the plug is loose,
anything falling in there will hit ground first. All metal boxes and
conduits must be connected to ground, but should not be used *as*
ground. Wires should be attached to 2x4 wall studs at the center, to
avoid getting damaged by sheetrock screws.