Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Shrinking a flat leather belt

Terry wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:51:58 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:
\

Pull the spindle, replace leather with a serpntine belt from teh auto
parts place, and get on with never having to do it again. (and if you DO
have to do it again, you will know how!)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Trevor, I'd love to be able to do that. But on this 13" lathe, the
belt runs through slots in the headstock casting. A cut and glued
belt, or spliced, or whatever, is the only kind that works.

Thanks -- Terry

At one point, Harley D. was using a toothed belt that had a skive
across the face of the belt, for final drive on some of their bikes.

They used a set if screws, across the face, running inside the teeth
lugs on the belts, but otherwise pretty much Identical to the type of
toothed belt used in timing belt applications.

Dunno if they are still using them or not.

If I were stuck like that, I would way rather glue and stitch the
belt, than listen to the clip clunking it's way around. YMMV.

Cheers
Trevor Jones