Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Drill Press For Metal Work Versus Wood Work

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:09:41 -0700, "Will" wrote:

Should a drill press used for drilling holes through 1/4 inch stainless
steel have any different characteristics than a drill press used for wood
work? Our applications are fairly trivial: maybe once a month we would
need to drill new screw placement holes in thick stainless retaining plates.
So we need a small drill press, but I want to make sure we don't overlook
any specific characteristics that a drill press intended for metal use
should have.

To add my comments to the many good ones that have appeared:-

If you can find a drill press with power down feed, you will find that it
gives better results and drill life. Especially if you have to go to 1/2" or
larger in 303.

Woodworking drills often seem to have table mountings that are lighter than is
desirable. I have a woodworking drill (12", open slot, round table, 3"
pillar) and a metalworking drill (12", closed T slot, square table, 2 1/2"
pillar) and it's quite worrying how much the lighter table on the woodworking
drill moves when you lean into a 1/2" or larger drill in steel. Having said
that, the woodworking drill is where I can use it easily and the other drill
doesn't get used very often :-)

If the motor struggles with the monthly metal jobs, don't forget that a pilot
hole, about the diameter of the main drill's web, will make the main drill cut
far more easily.

Mark Rand
RTFM