Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony Tony is offline

Default Shrinking a flat leather belt

I dunno, if serp belts were so great why didn't the factory put them there
in the first place.

Now, if I read this right, you "prefer" stretch in your belts, yet the
problem is stretch in your belt. WTF???

The problem the OP had was his belt was loose. Nylon/Rubber flat belting has
stretch meaning the belt provides continous tension as the tensioning handle
cams over, as opposes to a belt with very little stretch (or give), and the
tensioning handle cams over with a clunk.

I've never had to re-clip nylon/rubber belt for stretching beyond the point
where it didn't provide sufficient tension, as opposed to leather belts that
keep lengthening.

Automotive belts belong on car engines, their too narrow anyway for cone
pulleys. And V-grooving a cone pulley? thats a bloody abortion.

Take the effin thing apart, put on a serpentine belt, and be done with
it. Or **** around with stretching belts for the rest of your days. If yer
really feeling the need to dink around, to make the trip into the
headstock worthwhile, convert the pulleys to Poly-V belt grooves, and have
silence and power!