Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rain bypassing gutter

"Red Green" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in news:1193983175.832998.286730
@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of
the shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs
underneath the shingle back towards the house and runs between the
house and the gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above
the soffit at eave vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

You do have metal drip edge on there right?
http://search.hardwarestore.com/?query=drip+edge

If so, you are saying the water is following the underside of the
shingle to the drip edge, running down the drip edge, then going from
the lip of the drip edge onto the fascia board behind the gutter. Is
that correct?

If that is the case (which I had to deal with once), you can get some
aluminum or vinyl strips/flashing whatever. Cut long stips wide
enough to overhang the gutter when the other end is slid up behind
the drip edge lip on the facia board.

You'll need to tack it so it stays put. If you use aluminum, use
aluminum nails. If you don't, the nails (even galvanized) will
corrode the aluminum over time and the nailheads will eventually
give.

How about riveting it to the back edge of the gutter, if the gutter is
aluminum?

Many ways. Just providing a concept/approach.

Then there's roofing nails (2" would work), gutter spikes, railroad
spikes, a crossbow, etc...and of course - duct tape (poster's pick).

Red...

The crossbow definitely sounds like a red green idea!