Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rain bypassing gutter

I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of
the shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs
underneath the shingle back towards the house and runs between the
house and the gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above
the soffit at eave vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:59:35 -0700, dmhamilt wrote:

I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of the
shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs underneath
the shingle back towards the house and runs between the house and the
gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above the soffit at eave
vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

By "drip guards" do you mean those things which keep debris out of the
gutters?

If so, my experience is that during heavy rainfall water flows too fast
and the caps prevent all the water from getting into the eaves. Light
rains aren't a problem since the flow of water off the roof is less.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 2, 1:59 am, wrote:
I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of
the shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs
underneath the shingle back towards the house and runs between the
house and the gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above
the soffit at eave vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

Sorry...I don't have a solution but if you live somewhere where winter
is really winter, I'd also be very concerned about ice forming under
the shingles and allowing water to get into the roof, walls, etc.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 1:59 am, wrote:
I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of
the shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs
underneath the shingle back towards the house and runs between the
house and the gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above
the soffit at eave vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

The drip edge need to extend into the gutter. The surface tension of
the water is causing it to hang onto the shingles and curl back
underneath.

It's not perfectly clear from the picture at this site, but if you use
your imagination, you can see that the "vertical" part of the drip
edge will hang down into the gutter once the drip edge is slid under
the shingles.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skil...193154,00.html

The other option is to increase the pitch of your roof to overcome the
surface tension. I'm guessing new drip edge is cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of
the shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs
underneath the shingle back towards the house and runs between the
house and the gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above
the soffit at eave vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

I didn't have that much of a space so I was able to use caulking between the
gutter and the fascia board to stop water from running between the gutter
and the house.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:1193983175.832998.286730
@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of
the shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs
underneath the shingle back towards the house and runs between the
house and the gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above
the soffit at eave vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

You do have metal drip edge on there right?
http://search.hardwarestore.com/?query=drip+edge

If so, you are saying the water is following the underside of the shingle
to the drip edge, running down the drip edge, then going from the lip of
the drip edge onto the fascia board behind the gutter. Is that correct?

If that is the case (which I had to deal with once), you can get some
aluminum or vinyl strips/flashing whatever. Cut long stips wide enough to
overhang the gutter when the other end is slid up behind the drip edge
lip on the facia board.

You'll need to tack it so it stays put. If you use aluminum, use aluminum
nails. If you don't, the nails (even galvanized) will corrode the
aluminum over time and the nailheads will eventually give.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

How about riveting it to the back edge of the gutter, if the gutter is
aluminum?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

Many ways. Just providing a concept/approach.

Then there's roofing nails (2" would work), gutter spikes, railroad
spikes, a crossbow, etc...and of course - duct tape (poster's pick).

Red...

"It's only temporary, unless it works."

http://www.RedGreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=menu
http://www.RedGreen.com/files/layout...rg_gal_028.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/about.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

The crossbow definitely sounds like a red green idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The crossbow definitely sounds like a red green idea!- Hide quoted text -

Have the wife hold the drip age while you aim the cross-bow.

Have the life insurance company's number programmed into your cell
phone - one touch dialing preferred.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First, try to get the company that installed them to fix the problem. Make
sure the gutter is positioned so it "runs" slight lower at one end then the
other for better drainage. Secondly, check to see if gutter anchors were
installed every so many inches.This keeps the gutters in postion. The
shingles on the roof should overlap the end of the roof slightly so the water
drips into the gutters. Are the gutters installed close enough to the roof
soffit?. It will rot the roof; it needs to be attended to. Are the shingles
fully attached to the roof? If not, the water will find the least resistance
or lowest point. (physic principle) Are the gutters raised enough to be
under the shingles but slighly above thr roof ridge?

--
Betty Boop