Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Old Chair redo/repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

I bought a child sized chair at a yard sale the other day for five
bucks. It is in pretty good shape. It looks like a regular dining
room chair of the period, and has a back that is one panel cut out of
a piece of what looks like birch plywood, and is in a common pattern.
The seat cover is a vinyl, which I will replace with some nice cloth,
and add a slightly thicker pad.

It is held together with ALL straight slot screws, which tends to make
me think forties or fifties. I will do more research to date it. All
there is in markings is 804 in crayon underneath.

I don't want to completely strip it, but consult with a rebuilder to
see how to darken it in some areas where it looks like water got on
it, and it has whitened in a spotty pattern.

Now for the question. Most all the dowels are lose in their sockets.
What is the best glue to use to get a good joint? I have used some
Elmer's before, and the things came loose soon after. Is there a
particular brand of Elmer's, or another? I have seen Gorilla Glue,
but with all the foaming and expanding, I'm not so sure of using it.

I know that I will have to clamp it until dry with the long pipe
clamps, or perhaps some of the Irving slide clamps I have that will
reach that far.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Whatever glue you end up choosing, take a look a a couple of band
clamps. You'll find many uses for them over the years for irregular and
large clamping. BTW, awesome for chairs too :-).

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...=19 579920323

Search the Home Depot site for a pic of the same one partially opened to
give you a better idea.