Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Chair redo/repair

I bought a child sized chair at a yard sale the other day for five bucks.
It is in pretty good shape. It looks like a regular dining room chair of
the period, and has a back that is one panel cut out of a piece of what
looks like birch plywood, and is in a common pattern. The seat cover is a
vinyl, which I will replace with some nice cloth, and add a slightly thicker
pad.

It is held together with ALL straight slot screws, which tends to make me
think forties or fifties. I will do more research to date it. All there is
in markings is 804 in crayon underneath.

I don't want to completely strip it, but consult with a rebuilder to see how
to darken it in some areas where it looks like water got on it, and it has
whitened in a spotty pattern.

Now for the question. Most all the dowels are lose in their sockets. What
is the best glue to use to get a good joint? I have used some Elmer's
before, and the things came loose soon after. Is there a particular brand
of Elmer's, or another? I have seen Gorilla Glue, but with all the foaming
and expanding, I'm not so sure of using it.

I know that I will have to clamp it until dry with the long pipe clamps, or
perhaps some of the Irving slide clamps I have that will reach that far.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SteveB wrote:

Now for the question. Most all the dowels are lose in their sockets. What
is the best glue to use to get a good joint? I have used some Elmer's
before, and the things came loose soon after. Is there a particular brand
of Elmer's, or another? I have seen Gorilla Glue, but with all the foaming
and expanding, I'm not so sure of using it.

If by "dowels loose in their sockets" you mean they are loose enough to
wiggle and essentially simply fall out on their own, glue alone of any
type isn't the answer -- you need to first fix either the hole or the
dowel to have a snug fit.

As for wood glue, any of the yellow PVA glues are fine. White glue is
ok as well, but not quite as strong. Either, however, will rely on
having a clean wood-to-wood contact and a tight-fitting joint to begin
with. Old glue and a loose fit will guarantee a non-lasting joint.

The polyurethane glues (such as Gorilla) are not worth a flip for
gap-filling, being even worse than yellow. Even in a good fitting joint
it isn't as strong in almost all instances, despite the hype/advertising.

If it were mine and there were sufficient room, I'd probably drill the
holes out to the next larger dowel size. Failing that, I'd clean the
existing holes out well and turn new dowels to fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Norminn wrote:

trick is to jam in the tips of one or two toothpicks so there is a tight
fit. Clamp until set.

But, unless there's a tight fit all around the dowel, the glue has no
effective surface area to make a long-lasting joint and as soon as the
single-points of the toothpicks mash down, back in the same boat w/ a
bunch more new glue to clean out...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

[...]

Whatever glue you end up choosing, take a look a a couple of band
clamps. You'll find many uses for them over the years for irregular and
large clamping. BTW, awesome for chairs too :-).

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...=19 579920323

Search the Home Depot site for a pic of the same one partially opened to
give you a better idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Thank you for the great explanation. I would have just thought that gluing
would be enough. Yes, on a couple, you can pull the joint apart because the

Main thing is that after redoing this, the chair is used only for looks, and
not for sitting. It's such a cute little chair.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "SteveB" wrote:

Now for the question. Most all the dowels are lose in their sockets. What
is the best glue to use to get a good joint? I have used some Elmer's
before, and the things came loose soon after. Is there a particular brand
of Elmer's, or another? I have seen Gorilla Glue, but with all the foaming
and expanding, I'm not so sure of using it.

I've never used it myself but I've read some good reports on
Chair Doctor glue:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3231

This might be helpful reading too:

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/repair.shtml

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Old glue needs to be cleaned out. Elmer's wood glue is good. One old
trick is to jam in the tips of one or two toothpicks so there is a tight
fit. Clamp until set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 2:14 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

804 may be nothing more than a mover's marking from some long-ago
house move. We have some antique furniture from my wife's grandmother
that has crayon numbers on some pieces. Some of the pieces are from
Europe and have knock-down fittings, like the 6' x 9' x 3' armoire.
These pieces have crayon numbers on many of the pieces and I believe
they were made by the movers many years ago. The crayon numbers would
probably be replaced with bar-code stickers if they were moved
today. ;-)

Search ths group for a thread entitled "Glueing Chair Rungs" that was
started on Oct 27, 2007. Lots of chatter on Gorilla Glue, Chair Doctor
and fox wedging.

On the other hand, if you are going to consult with someone on
refinishing parts of it, I'm guessing that any restorer worth their
fees will know the best way to tighten up the rungs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

This seems to be a common problem with old chairs. I know epoxy is good
for gap filling; is it useful for wood in this case?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Not very. Although for OP's question when he came back to say this
particular chair is for exhibition, not use, simply filling w/ yellow
glue will be adequate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 3:17 pm, dpb wrote:

snip

This seems to be a common problem with old chairs. I know epoxy is good
for gap filling; is it useful for wood in this case?

Not very. Although for OP's question when he came back to say this
particular chair is for exhibition, not use, simply filling w/ yellow
glue will be adequate.

A two part epoxy is superb for redoing old furniture, boats, whatever.
The only real caveat is to remember that you need wood to wood
surfaces for the adhesive to bond to, not old dried up glue. The
ability to fill gaps of impossible sizes make it the woodworkers
dream. The best formulations are the slow setting 1 to 1 mixes.
Epoxies have been a staple tool in my shop since the 1960's, but not
the only adhesive. TiteBond types, Elmers and the many other glues on
the market today each have special properties that can make them the
prefered choice in certain circumstances. LIke they say, use the right
tool for the job to get it right. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

As Joe said. Glue doesn't stick to glue. For decoration only,
get some of the chair doctor wood swelling stuff and inject it
with the needle:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,110&p=30261

The only other solution is to remove the dowels, clean out the
glue in the holes and on the dowel ends, perhaps even split and
bottom wedge the dowels, and reassemble.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

chair repair Lee Ross Woodworking 1 October 13th 06 02:15 AM
Chair repair Mike Barnes UK diy 6 March 16th 06 08:32 PM
Rocking Chair repair pookie03 Woodworking 12 January 8th 06 11:19 PM
Chair leg repair Major Canuk Woodworking 3 September 9th 04 07:48 PM
Wooden chair repair Dan Hartung Woodworking 4 October 24th 03 04:49 AM