Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Old Chair redo/repair

SteveB wrote:

I bought a child sized chair at a yard sale the other day for five bucks.
It is in pretty good shape. It looks like a regular dining room chair of
the period, and has a back that is one panel cut out of a piece of what
looks like birch plywood, and is in a common pattern. The seat cover is a
vinyl, which I will replace with some nice cloth, and add a slightly thicker
pad.

It is held together with ALL straight slot screws, which tends to make me
think forties or fifties. I will do more research to date it. All there is
in markings is 804 in crayon underneath.

I don't want to completely strip it, but consult with a rebuilder to see how
to darken it in some areas where it looks like water got on it, and it has
whitened in a spotty pattern.

Now for the question. Most all the dowels are lose in their sockets. What
is the best glue to use to get a good joint? I have used some Elmer's
before, and the things came loose soon after. Is there a particular brand
of Elmer's, or another? I have seen Gorilla Glue, but with all the foaming
and expanding, I'm not so sure of using it.

I know that I will have to clamp it until dry with the long pipe clamps, or
perhaps some of the Irving slide clamps I have that will reach that far.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Old glue needs to be cleaned out. Elmer's wood glue is good. One old
trick is to jam in the tips of one or two toothpicks so there is a tight
fit. Clamp until set.