Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Old Chair redo/repair

I bought a child sized chair at a yard sale the other day for five bucks.
It is in pretty good shape. It looks like a regular dining room chair of
the period, and has a back that is one panel cut out of a piece of what
looks like birch plywood, and is in a common pattern. The seat cover is a
vinyl, which I will replace with some nice cloth, and add a slightly thicker
pad.

It is held together with ALL straight slot screws, which tends to make me
think forties or fifties. I will do more research to date it. All there is
in markings is 804 in crayon underneath.

I don't want to completely strip it, but consult with a rebuilder to see how
to darken it in some areas where it looks like water got on it, and it has
whitened in a spotty pattern.

Now for the question. Most all the dowels are lose in their sockets. What
is the best glue to use to get a good joint? I have used some Elmer's
before, and the things came loose soon after. Is there a particular brand
of Elmer's, or another? I have seen Gorilla Glue, but with all the foaming
and expanding, I'm not so sure of using it.

I know that I will have to clamp it until dry with the long pipe clamps, or
perhaps some of the Irving slide clamps I have that will reach that far.

Help appreciated.

Steve