Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie M. 1958 Charlie M. 1958 is offline

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

Chuck wrote:
We are planning to redo our kitchen in a year or two. We'll be doing
most of it ourselves, including building the cabinets. I have been
building my skills and my tool collection and think I am just about
ready for this task. We have remodeled another kitchen in the past
using ready made cabinets.

I have one big question though. I'm not sure if it's cost effective to
build my own cabinets or to go out and buy some decent quality ready
made ones. As far as tools go I would have to buy a big router to
handle panel raising and either build or buy a "real" router table (I
am now using the Porter Cable entry level "table" with a PC 691).
Then, there is the cost of materials. My wife wants cherry and I know
it's not cheap. The cost of hardware is obscene and all the other wood
for drawers, shelves and carcasses will add up to a small fortune.

I know I will really enjoy the challenge and feel a major sense of
accomplishment but I'm not sure if it's worth it if I can buy ready
mades for half the price. Has anyone here done a serious cost
comparison?

Also, any advice about ways to save money would be appreciated. I am
planning on building face frame cabinets with raised panel doors and
LOTS of drawers. I can get cherry at my local lumber yard but it costs
a fortune (finished on all 4 sides). I have a jointer and planer but
no source for unfinished kiln dried cherry (I live in NY's Hudson
Valley).

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

I really don't think building your own would cost more than buying good
quality ready-made cabinets, even if you have to purchase a few tools to
do it. On the other hand, you probably won't save a tremendous amount by
doing it yourself either. If I were you. I would base the decision on
whether or not it was something I Really wanted to do.