Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default water softeners?

"Styx" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

£5 a month

Savd easily by how long the soap lasts and the cleaners we don't have to
buy to take off limescale.

Mine as about £500, and detects how much water goes through so it klnos
when to recycle etc.

Only problem is it restricts flow rate a bit. And takes up a whole
kitchen unit.

I figured around £500 to £700, last time I looked into them (about 6
months ago).

Any estimate on how much the flow rate drops? When we had a new Combi
boiler fitted 2 years ago, we measured the flow rate a found it was enough
for the combi with a thermostatic mixer-type shower running of it. We
actually get a pretty good pressure of water at the shower head, but if a
softener drops the flow rate too much that might all go to pot...

Styx

The double cylinder type of softener doesn't suffer from any diminution of
flow rate. one cylinder is always available for the 'path'. When the
integrator in the mechanism determines that the resin in one cylinder is
depleted a valve switches the incoming flow through the 'quiescent cylinder.
This depleted cylinder is then purged and once refreshed becomes available
for switching into the flow.
A single cylinder system will of necessity permit unaoftened water to be
allowed past itself during the purging cycle.

The pipework is fitting a set of valves into a 'Pi' configuration (to permit
isolation) . My unit is about the size of two/three large packets of
Cornflakes- it doesn't occupy a 'whole' kitchen unit' even though I left
lots of space for access, there's lots of space for brillo pads, sponges,
pan scourers, washing-up liquid and the other junk that gets shoved into a
kitchen cabinet.

--

Brian