Posted to alt.home.repair
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default Rain bypassing gutter

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:59:35 -0700, dmhamilt wrote:

I have fairly new gutters and they are not working. The rain runs
between the house and the gutter. I have verified that the shingles
overlap into the guttter, but the water sticks to the bottom side of the
shingle instead of dripping into the gutter. The water runs underneath
the shingle back towards the house and runs between the house and the
gutter. In some instances the water accumulates above the soffit at eave
vinyl. I am concerned this will rot the roof.

I already have drip gaurds.

Any ideas on what to look for? or how to fix it?

By "drip guards" do you mean those things which keep debris out of the
gutters?

If so, my experience is that during heavy rainfall water flows too fast
and the caps prevent all the water from getting into the eaves. Light
rains aren't a problem since the flow of water off the roof is less.