Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

On Nov 2, 6:34 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:04:31 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:13:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
(Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:
Yeah, but it does work well on skin! I recently discovered how
well when my 7 year old fell and made a nice gash on his nose
that I thought would need stitches. Off to the E.R. where they
stuck him back together with (medical grade) superglue. Within
about 10 days the would healed perfectly with no trace of a
scar. The Doc was right -- much better than stitches!

What's medical grade CA? Is that $3 dimestore glue that's been
repackaged and sold for $300? The standard stuff you have around the
house works great for wounds.

Well, pretty much. Of course, the vendor probably had to
spend many millions getting FDA approval and satisfying
all kinds of requirements relating to manufacturing,
distribution, packaging, advertising and everything else.

Yeah. I dated an orthopedic surgeon for a while, and she swore that the
bone screws cost $1800 per copy. I also know, first hand, how screws are
made. Anyone wanna pony up some venture capital?

I've seen used medical screws. There isn't much similarity except the
basic
function. Kind of like comparing a bottle rocket with a saturn booster.

So a medical screw is not a piece of metal that's been machined? What is
it, then?

It's not a piece of junk metal that was machined in two milliseconds.
Do you think a saturn booster is the same as a bottle rocket?

No screw is machined in two milliseconds. We make sophisticated parts
out of exotic materials all the time. If you can't tell me the
difference between a medical screw and some other screw, then may I
assume you know of none? Your rocket analogy is silly.- Hide quoted text -

The fact that screws used for surgery cost $1800 probably has a lot
less to do with the manufacturing and more to the std overhead added
on to anything done in a hospital today.

When I was in the ER in LA two years ago, I was taking Tylenol for
pain. The ER doctor suggested I use Motrin instead. I wasn't too
keen on switching, but she kept pushing it, and offered to give me
one. Finally, I said yes, without even thinking, because it was just
a common Motrin When I got the bill, they charged me $18 for one
Motrin tablet that I could have bought at a drug store an hour later
for 25 cents.