Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble[_3_] Rumble[_3_] is offline

Default water softeners?

Part timer wrote:
On 1 Nov, 16:57, Fred wrote:

We are in hard water area and getting bored of having to de scale the
kettle! I also wonder what the inside of the washing machine must look
like but perhaps I have been made paranoid by those calgon adverts?

If you want to know, get your hands on the (Haynes) Washing Machine
Manual - getting the heater out is two blade connections (plus another
for earth), a nut to loosen (8mm on mine), tap the nut and pull
(hard!) the heater out towards the back. Our water is probably the
hardest (chalk area!) and 6 years' worth of scale wasn't too bad. No
calgon snake oil either.

Calgon isn't snake oil; it's just really expensive for what it is. You
can buy Sodium Sesquicarbonate softener in Tesco for a fraction of the
price of Calgon.