Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default water softeners?

"Styx" wrote in message
Brian Sharrock wrote:

snip

Would you be kind enough to state what softener you bought

After careful; consideration and much internal debate; I went for the twin
cylinder water-meter-motor powered type. { Essentially, any cylinder will
become 'spent' when it's resin has absorbed /exchanged its sodium ions for
calcium ions. The cylinder needs to be purged by flushing through with brine
when calcium ions are exchanged / given-up and the resin is refreshed -
ready to 'soften' a fresh load of 'hard' water. Some (electrical) controlled
devices determine when to purge by means of a timer set to pump brine
through the cylinder(s) at a predetermined time. The type I bought uses an
intergrating water-driven 'meter' which decides on a volume used basis when
to purge the cylinder .Its claimed that 'salt' is not wasted.]

and from where?

A web search revealed that 'West Midlands Water Company' had the least
expensive model (at the time).

Also, what kind of running costs are associated with it (e.g. how much
salt does it get through).

I purchase salt off the interent for convenience - a quantity / price break
for me is ten packets of two 4Kgs blocks which costs about £35 (delivered to
the door).. A pair of salt blocks lasts three adults (showers, baths,
washing machine, dishwasher, tolet etc. ) for _about_ one month.

According to my 'Salt Consumption' spreadsheet;- in one calendar year the
machine consumed 31 blocks a a , calculated, cost of £51.

Thanks,

Styx

HTH

--