Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default A little help from you military types ............

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:06:15 -0700, wrote:

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:07:12 -0500, cavelamb himself

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:37:38 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

Thanks for the breakdown

I just quoted what I read from the papers I got. He was a "Sergeant" in the
"Army of The United States", and was discharged on Nov. 22, 1945 according
to the Certification of Military Service, NA FORM 13038 (REV. 04-01)

Is there any way I can find out what he did to get the bronze stars? I
understand a lot of records were lost in a fire, and this one has burn marks
on it.

You might try Army records in St. Louis - but they really did have a
catastrophic fire back in the 70's.

A veteran is allowed one reissue of awards and decorations.

What about if th' vet has passed on and one of his children wanted
those? My wife's Dad was awarded two purple hearts, among other
awards and decorations, from th' Chosin Reservoir in Korea, Nov. -
Dec. 1950.

He was also a Sargent in th' US Army.

Snarl

Do you know he hisory of that campaign?

Yes I do. Living hell and he was one of th' few lucky ones who left
that place alive. Albeit he eventually lost all of his fingers due to
frostbite, on top of taking shrapnel from a grenade and then gettin'
shot and goin' back to fight after both. Dad never talked about it.

He was th' Treasurer of th' Chosin Few 'til he died from a
misdiagnosis from Madigan hospital about 14 years ago. That was 6
months after he retired. Damn shame, that. He was also instrumental
in getting th' Korean Conflict memorial in CA funded. One hell of a
man!

My wife & I would love to get a reissue of his awards and decorations.
Not sure how to go about that tho.

Sgt. Victor Stepper (Ret) R.I.P.

Snarl

I sound like that AFLAC duck.