Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Lost track of receptacle wires (DIA) & no rear push in on replacement plug

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:19:08 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[snip]

I try to take a digital photo before I undo anything; maybe next time.

It is impossible to know what you have from here. You have a switched
outlet, but the wiring could be many different things.
1) Do you have more than one switched outlet?
2) Look at the switch. What wires are there?

With answers to that I can tell you how to wire the outlet.
It is also possible, though unlikely, that there is no switch but the outlet
is wired to a multiwire circuit. And there is an even smaller possibility
that you have both a switch and a multiwire circuit.
And finally, you should have two bare wires; sure there isn't another one
somewhere?

The OP mentioned a fuse, suggesting older wiring. Maybe only a few
outlets have ground.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams