Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Dumb question about copper piping

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
In other words, the adapters you need are just two short lengths
of 1/2" copper. Check it out.

That is an interesting thought. I'll crawl up under there in the morning.
Whatever I end up doing, I'll post the fix.

This is getting expensive and I'm getting depressed. I bought a new tubing
cutter on the off chance the little tiny one I had was messing things up. Today
I crawled under the house and determined I would not get this fixed easily. I
took a small sample of the cut off line with me and went in search of
refrigeration fittings. A kind soul there told me that it looked as if my
tubing had frozen at some point in the past and there was no longer any way I
would get it back to specs. He suggested I swage (sp?) the tubing to the next
larger size and then solder in the next larger reducer. So I bought a swager
(sp?) and crawled back under the house with it. Of course, you have to beat the
everliving **** out of it and there's no way to secure it while you're beating.
So I have the tubing in one hand and a hand held sledge in the other... on my
back and beating on something with my arms stretched out and my neck off the
ground.

Well, I broke a good sweat. Broke the pipe too. Just beyond the expanded area
the tubing has a small fissure where none existed before.

It looks like what's going to have to happen is to turn off all the water for
the whole house, all the old tubing needs to come down, and then resolder new
tubing with two new valves... the outboard one having the dump port. Then I'm
going to insulate the tubing.

Talk about a PITA. Time for a drink... the sun must be going down somewhere on
earth.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com