Posted to uk.d-i-y
Styx Styx is offline

Default water softeners?

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

AIUI; 'hard' water has dissolved 'bit's in it that you can't see but deposit
themselves on the insides of kettles / taps / irons / everywhere.

I 'looked' at these 'We can't tell you why it works, but grease our palms
with silver and we'll let you take one away with you' devices and basically
couldn't comprehend what they were supposed to do nor get overwhelmed by a
desire to part with hard-earned money.

Eventually after much reading of the DIY groups webpages and reading the
discussions, I purchased a 'proper' Resin cartridge cum Salt 'Water
Softener'. It's brilliant! I can pretend to 'understand' how it works; put
Salt IN and the nasty bits go OUT. No magnetic fields, pulsing or static,
doing something 'magic' to the water .... just plain old Sodium IN, Calcium
OUT.

Astoundingly- everything that water comes into contact with; my little body,
my hair, the bath, toilet, sink surfaces; handbasins, worktops, oven
fascias, clothes, etc. etc. become easy to clean.
No more rinse-aid, no battery of cleansing products, the saving on
detergents etc. is impressive.
I can't quantify it because I never kept financial records to that level of
granularity - but we hardly ever buy such cleansers anymore; bath bubble
stuff, perhaps purchased weekly now lasts for several months ; ....

Although my opinion is biased but I wouldn't 'trust' any of the devices that
didn't have a Calcium~Sodium Ion exchange mechanism .

But as they say; a fool and his money are soon parted and these vendors
haven't gone bankrupt overestimating the gullibility or intelligence of
their market.

--

Brian

Would you be kind enough to state what softener you bought and from
where? Also, what kind of running costs are associated with it (e.g. how
much salt does it get through).

Thanks,

Styx