Kamus of Kadizhar

Default Lyeden Jars

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:15:42 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You offered a reference which states that the classic Leyden jar used a
liquid inner "plate" with a connecting wire dangling into it.

Do you have a weight limit or some other requirement which makes you
need to use a conducting film rather than just filling the wine bottles
with water, and maybe some salt in the water for good measure?

I thought about that, but I couldn't find any more about the "liquid".
I thought about salt water too... It would be kind of cool. Of course,
figure these things will be charged up to maybe 100KV so the thought of
salt water doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.... But at worst it will
knock me on my butt....

But, if you really need to use a coating, then Google up "Aquadag". It's
a black conductive coating which can be painted on glass. IIRC the
outsides of some CRT envelopes used to be covered with the stuff. It
felt like it might of had a lot of carbon powder in it. You could
probably pour it in and out of your wine bottles to get what you want.

Cool, thanks.

--Kamus