Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default trimming out a basement door next to concrete walls

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:05:32 -0700, Mike wrote:

snip

So, I see two potential solutions. One, use PT 1X4s for the trim. I
will not have to worry about moisture from the concrete, but the idea
of PT trim seems a bit weird. Painting wet PT does not sound too
useful.

Two, use pine trim as I would for a normal interior door and keep the
bottom of the trim 1/8" off the floor. This solution is more easily
painted, which is nice, but will have pine edges touching concrete.
No end grain issues here, but are pine edges that touch concrete prone
to moisture absorption?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

If you at least prime the trim (all sides and ends) before you mount
it you will be fine unless the concrete is really damp, and probably
even then.

If you are really worried about it, use PVC trim. Can't tell the
difference when painted and moisture won't bother it a bit.
It's as easy to work with as pine.

HTH,

Paul