Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default 220 electrical outlets?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:54:44 +0000, LRod
That's the whole point of the argument on using that word in the 15/20
A exception. Clearly a device that is keyed for 15 A components but is
permitted to be installed on 20 A circuits is rated (that is designed
and permitted to carry said current) for 20 A service.

Then you "'clearly" would have no qualms about using an X-15 component
as the ONLY outlet on a 20 amp circuit since it is "rated (that is
designed and permitted to carry said current) for 20 A service." Yet
that is prohibited by code. Wonder why?

If you don't understand the importance of the differences I've pointed
out, there isn't any purpose served by continuing to convey them. And
if you don't, then please don't give electrical advice.

And do you understand the reason behind allowing multiple instances of
15 amp outlets, but prohibiting a single 15 amp outlet, on a 20 amp
circuit?

The difference(s) I see is simply one of semantics and is completely
limited to the single instance of allowing a 20 amp circuit to feed
multiple instances (but not a single instance) of 15 amp outlets.

However, I will admit to some interest in why you seem to feel that
the use of the word "rated" in my response to the OP was
"unfortunate". Do you seriously believe it could lead the OP into some
sort of unsafe practice?

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA