Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

"MLD" wrote in news:Nb1Wi.2576$mv.609@trndny08:

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife put 2 cartons of milk on the same shelf and that proved to be
too much weight for it and both back corners snapped off in almost
identical pieces. I've never had success gluing two pieces of plastic
together to support weight but I'd like to try something different
and see if it works. I'm going to take my Dremel and drill about 6
holes in each side of the pieces to be joined. Then I'm going to
insert pieces of a paper clip into each hole to act as reinforcement
for the glue to adhere to much in the same way rebar works in cement.
Has anyone had any success with this? I'm thinking if nothing else it
will increase the surface area of the connection. Any hints on making
it work better? I'm going to use Gorilla Glue to join the pieces
because it will expand into the holes

Different product (soap dish) I cemented paper clips under and across
the broken pieces. I used Phenoseal ( great adhesive caulking) to put
all the parts together. It's been a few years without failure.
MLD

I had a plastic clamp for a clip-on fan break,and I used epoxy and popsicle
sticks to reinforce it;you have to let the epoxy cure for a week or two
before putting it under stress,to get it's full strength.
The clamp has a very strong spring,and it's held up for about two years
now. I used RAKA boat building epoxy and fumed silica thickener. I tried J-
B Weld before that,but it didn't hold up very long.It seems to be a softer
epoxy. System Three or West System epoxy would do just as well as the RAKA.

The popsicle sticks are stiff and give more strength than a paper clip
will,and epoxy bonds to it better.

Polyurethane glues are crap.(Gorilla Glue)They also foam up,expand and make
a mess.For wood,I guess they are OK.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik