Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife put 2 cartons of milk on the same shelf and that proved to be
too much weight for it and both back corners snapped off in almost
identical pieces. I've never had success gluing two pieces of plastic
together to support weight but I'd like to try something different and
see if it works. I'm going to take my Dremel and drill about 6 holes
in each side of the pieces to be joined. Then I'm going to insert
pieces of a paper clip into each hole to act as reinforcement for the
glue to adhere to much in the same way rebar works in cement. Has
anyone had any success with this? I'm thinking if nothing else it will
increase the surface area of the connection. Any hints on making it
work better? I'm going to use Gorilla Glue to join the pieces because
it will expand into the holes

Different product (soap dish) I cemented paper clips under and across the
broken pieces. I used Phenoseal ( great adhesive caulking) to put all the
parts together. It's been a few years without failure.
MLD