Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Dumb question about copper piping

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Dave Martindale wrote:
I'd like to know how a plumber, who ought to have some idea what they're
doing, manages to install something like this backward in the first
place.

I've got a little update but the solution isn't in place just yet: I was
made aware at a plumber's supply house today that there does exist such a
beast as 5/8" tubing. "Of course, nobody would use that because it costs
about twice as much. That's getting into refrigeration stuff."

Well, I went home and got on the internet and sure enough, I found a
description of 5/8" copper tubing where it said it was used (among other
spots) for hot tubs. Well, my line is to be found right in front of the
hot tub which is just to the side of where I come into the crawl space.
The hot tub is cut into the floor of the bathroom directly above and I
have access to the filter, etc where I come in. So having that line there
seems reasonable.... even if it "costs twice as much".

So it seems what I need to extract myself from this mess is a pair of 5/8"
to 1/2" copper reducers. I can then solder in the ball valve I already
paid for and the problem is solved. At least that's how I hope things
will go. I won't know until I lay my hands on those reducers and see if
they will fit the tubing already out there.

Film at 11....

The outside diameter of 1/2" copper tube is 5/8". The outside diameter of
5/8" tubing is probably 3/4" or close to it. The inside diameter of 3/4"
tubing is nominally 3/4", depending on wall thickness. See if you can fit a
3/4" coupling with a stub of 3/4" pipe in it, over the outside of the 5/8"
tube. You may be able to jury rig an arrangement by fitting pieces together.
Try fitting pieces together in the big box store to see how you can do it,
be creative, it may save you some money over special ordering the 5/8"
fittings. You may have to try some pieces of different wall thicknesses to
see what fits over the 5/8" tube without too much gap that could cause
soldering problems.

Other than the above you may need to locate a refrigeration supply outfit to
get the parts.