Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default A little help from you military types ............

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:27:36 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:12:09 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
The rank of "Sargent" is not complete, I believe, as he should have
been a Staff, Technical or Master Sargent in 1947. A 3 striper was
called an airman 1st Class in those days.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bruce not quite. I was in the National Guard at the time of
the Korean war. When war broke out I was a Corporal we got
"Federalized" and at the promotion board meeting got
promoted to A1C. They had just shortly before that time
changed the rank desigantions to the Airman 3rd, 2nd, 1st
from the older ratings. This was in 1951.
Got out in Dec 53 as a s/sgt. :-)
...lew...

Whoops, I was taught that the USAF became a separate organization in
1947 and that the "Airman" ranks dated from that time. Obviously not.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

On my father's marker at a military cemetery, it says Sergeant, USAC.

When did the United States Air Corps change from being Army and become the
Air Force? His papers say he was in the "Army of the United States."

Steve

I'm working from memory now but I believe that prior to WW-II it was
the Army Air Corps. About 1941 it became the Army Air Force and on 18
Sept 1947 the Army Air force became an independent service called the
U.S. Air Force. However, from what Lew writes, above, from 1947 until
sometime around 1950 - 1951 the new USAF used Army nomenclature for
ranks.

The statement "Army of the United States" would indicate a time before
1947 when the "Air force" stopped being a part of the Army.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

I googled it (WOW, WHAT AN IDEA!), and it was the United States Army Air
Force from 41 to 47. Previous from 26 to 41, it was the USAC, and after 47
it was the USAF.

Steve