Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok Bruce in Bangkok is offline

Default A little help from you military types ............

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:37:38 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

Thanks for the breakdown

I just quoted what I read from the papers I got. He was a "Sergeant" in the
"Army of The United States", and was discharged on Nov. 22, 1945 according
to the Certification of Military Service, NA FORM 13038 (REV. 04-01)

Is there any way I can find out what he did to get the bronze stars? I
understand a lot of records were lost in a fire, and this one has burn marks
on it.

Steve

You might try Army records in St. Louis - but they really did have a
catastrophic fire back in the 70's.

A veteran is allowed one reissue of awards and decorations.

In this case you would want the citations.

Long shot - but possibly?

Richard

All of the decorations you mention are "service medals", given for
being there, and I doubt that there would have been any individual
citations made. More likely simply an entry in his records jacket.
There was a section for listing decorations and service medals and
unless one received a decoration for valor, Air Medal or higher, I
think that was the only record.

By the way, there is nothing derogatory about ribbons being "Service
Ribbons", they showed that you were there . I wasn't a bit shy to wear
Korea and Vietnam service ribbons and I still think they prove a lot
more then a "went to Canada" entry in a resume.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)