Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Drill Press For Metal Work Versus Wood Work

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ed Huntress writes:

A drill press that will cover the appropriate speeds for both is a not
very common.

My Delta woodworking drill press goes down to 250 rpm. Home Depot item
from about 1996, with a 3-pulley system and 1720 rpm motor.

I meant to ask, how does it do in stainless with a 0.5" bit? That's really
pushing it in thick stock, with a woodworking drill press. My Walker-Turner
won't do it, even though it has the right rpm. I have squeaked through with
3/8" bits, after drilling an 1/8" pilot hole. But that's not the way to go
for commercial work.

--
Ed Huntress