Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnB[_3_] JohnB[_3_] is offline

Default How many time clean carpet

Hi all.

Just bought a Hoover carpet cleaner, $300 worth.
So far I like it fine. Seems durable, leaves the carpet very dry.

I have been very lax in carpet maintenance in the 3 years we've lived
here.
I clean it about once a year and vacuum only every few months.
As such, our carpets are filthy!

So, I cleaned it once and the water in the recovery tank was very
dirty, almost black, not surprisingly.
So, on a whim I cleaned it a second time with pretty much the same
results.
Then I cleaned it a third.
Then I cleaned it a fourth, this time with only hot water. This time
I got a little foam which means that I probably didn't rinse enough
the prior 3 times.
Then I cleaned it a fifth time, again with only water, and the water
is still dirty.
My question is, per the wife's instructions, will I damage the carpet
in some way if I continue to clean it until the water is clean(er)?
Will the brushes wear out the fibers of the carpet.
I'm not too worried about the carpet getting too wet. I get about the
same amount of water in the recovery tank as I put in the top tank.
The carpet dries somewhere between 30 minutes and one hour, which is
the best I've ever seen. The first time my cat was lying on the
carpet 20 minutes after I finished!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
JB