Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many time clean carpet

Hi all.

Just bought a Hoover carpet cleaner, $300 worth.
So far I like it fine. Seems durable, leaves the carpet very dry.

I have been very lax in carpet maintenance in the 3 years we've lived
here.
I clean it about once a year and vacuum only every few months.
As such, our carpets are filthy!

So, I cleaned it once and the water in the recovery tank was very
dirty, almost black, not surprisingly.
So, on a whim I cleaned it a second time with pretty much the same
results.
Then I cleaned it a third.
Then I cleaned it a fourth, this time with only hot water. This time
I got a little foam which means that I probably didn't rinse enough
the prior 3 times.
Then I cleaned it a fifth time, again with only water, and the water
is still dirty.
My question is, per the wife's instructions, will I damage the carpet
in some way if I continue to clean it until the water is clean(er)?
Will the brushes wear out the fibers of the carpet.
I'm not too worried about the carpet getting too wet. I get about the
same amount of water in the recovery tank as I put in the top tank.
The carpet dries somewhere between 30 minutes and one hour, which is
the best I've ever seen. The first time my cat was lying on the
carpet 20 minutes after I finished!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
JB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your house sounds disgusting. Have the carpet cleaned by a professional.
Then, vacuum every week or two. And, start taking your shoes off when you
come in the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/30/2007 5:16 PM JohnB said the following:
[...]

Look up 'Compulsive-Obsessive'.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:16:44 -0700, JohnB
wrote:

[...]

Good housekeeping recommends vacuuming twice a week, more often if you
have 2 people or pets. Your carpet will need less-frequent
shampooing with frequent vacuuming. Rinse until the waste water is
clear. Keep the nozzle slowly moving at all times. Hot water can
damage some carpets; cool water is best for rinsing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnB wrote:
My question is, per the wife's instructions, will I damage the carpet
in some way if I continue to clean it until the water is clean(er)?
Will the brushes wear out the fibers of the carpet.
I'm not too worried about the carpet getting too wet. I get about the
same amount of water in the recovery tank as I put in the top tank.
The carpet dries somewhere between 30 minutes and one hour, which is
the best I've ever seen. The first time my cat was lying on the
carpet 20 minutes after I finished!!

You cannot wear out the carpet with the brushes. The carpet gets "brushed"
equally hard with the vacuum.

As to how many times you should clean the carpet, clean it until it's clean
enough for you. If it looks swell right now, leave it alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
You cannot wear out the carpet with the brushes. The carpet gets "brushed"
equally hard with the vacuum.
As to how many times you should clean the carpet, clean it until it's clean
enough for you. If it looks swell right now, leave it alone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Now THAT'S an answer to my questions.
And thank you to anyone else who made an honest effort.
Also, thanks to these nice people, I don't have to yell at the people
who called my family ugly names!
That was a close one! :)

JB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:12:19 -0700, JohnB
wrote:

snip
You cannot wear out the carpet with the brushes. The carpet gets "brushed"
equally hard with the vacuum.
As to how many times you should clean the carpet, clean it until it's clean
enough for you. If it looks swell right now, leave it alone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Now THAT'S an answer to my questions.
And thank you to anyone else who made an honest effort.
Also, thanks to these nice people, I don't have to yell at the people
who called my family ugly names!
That was a close one! :)

JB

To be honest, we don't vacuum but perhaps every 1.5 months and clean
our carpets perhaps every 5 years or more. However, we have a small
family (no kids), no pets, no smokers, always remove our shoes (this
helps a lot) and don't eat or drink over our carpets. And we do have
some floor mats before walking on the carpet. Believe it or not, the
carpets look pretty good and are now about 9+ years old. The real
negative is when the wife cooks something smelly but then I try to
open the windows to vent it. So I'll be the last person to criticize
another for lack of vacuuming as you can see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnB wrote:
snip
You cannot wear out the carpet with the brushes. The carpet gets
"brushed" equally hard with the vacuum.

As to how many times you should clean the carpet, clean it until
it's clean enough for you. If it looks swell right now, leave it
alone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Now THAT'S an answer to my questions.

Just common sense.

I'm amazed at the people who shower their whole body when it's so much
easier to note prior to turning on the water which parts are dirty and
merely do them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill writes:

On Oct 30, 5:16 pm, JohnB wrote:
Hi all.

Just bought a Hoover carpet cleaner, $300 worth.
So far I like it fine. Seems durable, leaves the carpet very dry.

the labor on using these things home units is too long as we all must
learn. the garden hose and wet-vac are the ultimate solution, but you
will water-damage the floor and building. give the hoover to an
enemy, or "loan" it your friend who doesn't return tools.
call the cleaning company and get a flat rate for your project,

I call BS.

I have one of those Hoovers, and I've rented units at the rental
place and I've had pros come in.
They all do exactly the same thing.
They get the carpet wet then pull out the mud.

The difference is, one of those Hoover units in your home
is a whole lot cheaper and more likely to be put into use.

If you like strangers in your house and have money to burn
go for the pro. Otherwise one of those home units are
a good deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:16:44 PM UTC-7, JohnB wrote:
[...]

Your problem is poor vacuuming practice and you are doing is wearing
out shampooer. You need to vacuum real slow and check the amount of dirt
in your vacuum when it is low then you can shampoo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JohnB, Leah wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I'm experiencing the exact same problem! I
vacuum frequently, have no pets, don't wear shoes in the house, and even have
a machine that senses how many particles it is picking up so I vacuum until I
get the 'green light' that it is clean. Yet, no matter how often I steam clean
the carpets the water is still grey. I'm wondering if there is something in
the pad that is coming through. The carpet are allowed to thoroughly dry, not
moldy, but yet that water is still grey.... curios.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-262637-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Leah, scat wrote:
I came here for the same reason. Doesn't seem to be a real answer. You vacuum
frequently, have no pets-I'm the opposite (1x every 2 weeks) and have 2 cats.
It doesn't seem to matter. I have the same issue on rugs not wet cleaned for a
long time and rugs that are cleaned frequently. Ive passed this last rug 7x,
alternating soap and then water only. The dirty water isn't as thick but is
still a grayish color. The rug feels so much better. It's not mold, there's no
smell and the rug drys quickly. It makes me wonder about professional
cleaning, I mean you never actually get to see what the water looks lie coming
out, so how do you know it's any different? Mine gets one more rinse and then
I'm done until the next time. I will say that I will do it more frequently
than I have.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-262637-.htm