Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Seagate 160 GB SATA HARD DRIVE PCB

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:55:59 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

Care to share where you read that? Apparently I've been in error all these
years thinking this data was written to an engineering track.

I don't know if it's the defect map, or something else, but some
controllers will only work with the drive they came with. I tried
swapping boards between identical Toshiba ipod drives and they
wouldn't work at all without their original board. The drives would
spin up, but would just went click click clik.

If you can identify the EEPROM you might be able to make it work by
swapping them.
Andy Cuffe

Or it may be possible to rig up an adapter to read and write the EEPROM
contents in circuit. Most of those EEPROMs are pretty simple and use SPI,
I2C, or 1Wire.