Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Seagate 160 GB SATA HARD DRIVE PCB

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:26:59 -0700, SCIENCE
wrote:

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

Not an option, there is information about the drive platters, heads,
etc, stored on NVRAM on the card. Any other card won't hve the right
information.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

You need to find an identical drive to swap the board from. Even that
might not work due to differences in the firmware and other data
specific to your drive.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

Not an option, there is information about the drive platters, heads,
etc, stored on NVRAM on the card. Any other card won't hve the right
information.

Why not if the heads and the platters are the same which they should be in
an identical drive. Critical data is stored on an engineering track on the
media itself, not nvram.

Any specific drive is never generic. It, and all others made in the
same batch, with exactly the same hardware, were caused to scan
themselves and note each bad physical spot on each platter. The number
of such spots is sometimes zero, more often not. Depending on the
specific manufacturer, this info is stored in NVRam on the PCB
(possibly on the disk itself, somewhere, as well). The bad physical
spots are mapped-around in the drive's firmware so that normal disk I-
O does not attempt to use them.

The (**VERY**) expensive data recovery services have created hardware
and software capable of getting around these drive-unique
characteristics for possibly thousands of sets of drive hardware (and
production block changes). That is why they are expensive. It may be
worth your time to substitute a new drive PCB and try it...but don't
get your hopes up.

Good luck!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SCIENCE wrote:

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

That was your mistake..
You let the smoke out!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

Not an option, there is information about the drive platters, heads,
etc, stored on NVRAM on the card. Any other card won't hve the right
information.

Why not if the heads and the platters are the same which they should be in
an identical drive. Critical data is stored on an engineering track on the
media itself, not nvram.

Drive controllers mask out bad sections in the drive.
2 identical drives with the same contents may have different mappings
on the platter.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey guys, my 160 GB SATA Hard Disk is not working . It just happened
when i connected to older
PC due to low watt from SMPS, than a Brilliant White Smoke came,
immediately i switched off the power supply. when i check the Hard
Disk the Capacitor has Burnt, Assuming it should not cause any damage
to the hard disk. Now i want that PCB of 160 GB Seagate Hard Disk in
order to replace the burnt one . Can you help me ? where do i get that
PCB ? Please............

Not an option, there is information about the drive platters, heads,
etc, stored on NVRAM on the card. Any other card won't hve the right
information.

Why not if the heads and the platters are the same which they should be in
an identical drive. Critical data is stored on an engineering track on the
media itself, not nvram.

I've had about a 50% success rate with this trick, and the last drive I
tried it with was 1.2GB so chances may be slim, however it won't normally
hurt anything to try, assuming the drives are identical.

You also may be able to repair the original drive, I did that once on a SCSI
drive that got a glass of water spilled on it while running. It fried one of
the surface mount motor driver IC's and I was able to find a suitable
replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

can one just replace nvram on new card with ones old card ?
robb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

if moving the nvram from old drive pcb to new pcb does not work
then ...

Is is not possible to reset the nvram on the new card so that it
thinks there are no bad spots ( a fresh and clean drive so to
speak )

AFAIK
since the disk layout information is FileSys info on the drive,
put there by operating system then the OS should not send a
request to access a spot on drive that is actually bad ? just
access spots where it knows the data was placed ? any READ errors
could handle by OS (slow things up a bit)

only trouble i suppose would be trying to write new data then
there would be trouble (using nvram clear) but i am hoping the OP
only wants to recover (ie READ) the DATA to a new drive ???? yes
???? and NOT planning to BOOT from this drive either ???

m2c
robb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"robb" writes:

ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

One basic question would be: Even if the bad block data is wrong, assuming
no bad blocks are present in the boot/root area, will it still be usable
enough to get most of the data off and/or will a common disk repair utility
be able to deal with it and repair it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:55:59 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

Care to share where you read that? Apparently I've been in error all these
years thinking this data was written to an engineering track.

I don't know if it's the defect map, or something else, but some
controllers will only work with the drive they came with. I tried
swapping boards between identical Toshiba ipod drives and they
wouldn't work at all without their original board. The drives would
spin up, but would just went click click clik.

If you can identify the EEPROM you might be able to make it work by
swapping them.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Care to share where you read that? Apparently I've been in error all these
years thinking this data was written to an engineering track.

I don't know if it's the defect map, or something else, but some
controllers will only work with the drive they came with. I tried
swapping boards between identical Toshiba ipod drives and they
wouldn't work at all without their original board. The drives would
spin up, but would just went click click clik.

If you can identify the EEPROM you might be able to make it work by
swapping them.
Andy Cuffe

Or it may be possible to rig up an adapter to read and write the EEPROM
contents in circuit. Most of those EEPROMs are pretty simple and use SPI,
I2C, or 1Wire.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would try getting an identical drive and pcb revision and just swap it.
Don't know about the mapping but yesterday i swapped the board from a
120 gb ibm deskstar with one that came off a clicking drive, it repaired
the dead drive.

Cheetah
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Hi Meat - how's it going ? HDDs are funny things. I had my 20GB data drive
fail the other day. One minute it was fine, next I couldn't access it. Very
odd too (well I think anyway) that it is spinning ok, and the BIOS correctly
'sees' it, and correctly reports its model, size, cluster size and so on,
but when you boot Windoze, a message regarding failure of the secondary
slave HD flashes up - so quickly, of course, that you just can't quite read
it properly. Windoze doesn't see it at all - it just doesn't appear in the
drive management screen, so you can't even attempt to force it to a manual
mount. Just for sport I tried it in another machine running '2000 rather
than XP, and again, BIOS sees it fine, but not the OS. I suppose I could
have tried in DOS, but by then, I had lost interest and replaced it with a
250GB drive which cost less than a good meal out, and restored it contents
from the external backup drive that I maintain (there's a lesson for the OP
to learn there, methinks ...) I've still got the drive, and have a friend
who makes a (very good !!) living from disc data recovery, so I might let
him have a look one of these days when I'm passing his shop, just out of
curiosity.

Just as a matter of interest, as well as the "Well just how much is your
lost data worth, sir ?" angle of his business, he has also invested a
considerable amount of money in the software and hardware to do the job, and
sometimes, recovering the data can be very labour-intensive. Probably
doesn't *justify* the large amounts of money that he can (and does) charge
for the service, but might go some way to mitigating his rates ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow writes:

wrote:

Care to share where you read that? Apparently I've been in error all these
years thinking this data was written to an engineering track.

I don't know if it's the defect map, or something else, but some
controllers will only work with the drive they came with. I tried
swapping boards between identical Toshiba ipod drives and they
wouldn't work at all without their original board. The drives would
spin up, but would just went click click clik.

If you can identify the EEPROM you might be able to make it work by
swapping them.
Andy Cuffe

Or it may be possible to rig up an adapter to read and write the EEPROM
contents in circuit. Most of those EEPROMs are pretty simple and use SPI,
I2C, or 1Wire.

I swapped boards on an old Conner RLL drive and it worked

You could copy the bits off with a magnifying glass on those.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Good story and references Arf. I keep nothing but an operating system and
temporary data on the drive in my PC. My data is stored on a network
storage server (Linksys NSLU2) utilizing two 300 gig drives, one of which
is hidden. Every morning at 3 am, a changed file and incremental backup
from the visible to hidden drive occurs automatically. Should the visable
drive fail (has happened once in the past 3 years) I merely make the
hidden drive the main drive (plug it into USB port 1) and all my data is
there. Then I replace the hidden drive and life goes on all happy happy.
If perhaps the NSLU2 itself were to fail, I have purchased another just in
case. If I had not done that, the file system is a linux ext2 IIRC and all
data could be transferred effortlessly to this PC. Ive got about 450 bucks
into this strategy to maintain the integrity of my critical data and it is
as good a solution as you will find anywhere at any price. There is one
drawback that being network transfer rates. Even at switched 10/100, large
files take awhile to transfer but I don't store a lot of those. I store
and actively work on mostly pictures from my digital camera, my email
database, and documents I have created or modified. Somehow speed is of
little concern because I'm sure that when catastrophe strikes, I grab a
drive cloned with my operating system off the shelf and I'm back in
business in less than 10 minutes. I really cringe when I see people
storing hundreds gigs worth of data on there only PC hard disk. At the
very least buy an external USB drive people.

It's a simple USB drive that I use for backup, and mine takes place
automatically every morning at 3:15am. I actually had to alter the partion
sizes on it after I replaced the data drive with the big one, because
without really thinking about it too clearly, I created a 'data' and a
'spare' partition on the new drive, that were just a little larger than the
partitions that I had already on the backup drive, so of course, the first
time the new drive with its restored data on, came to be backed up, the
backup software rejected the operation, because the destination partition
just wasn't quite big enough by a few hundred meg, to accommodate the source
drive. Doh! Still, it was just a case of reformat the external drive with
partitions that were big enough, plus a bit to allow for future bad blocks,
and then creating a new backup set, and then restarting the backup
scheduler. Know what you mean about the speed though. It took it 21 hours to
transfer all the data back to the USB drive. Just a few minutes a night
again now, as only the changed files / folders get included.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:34:08 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

case. If I had not done that, the file system is a linux ext2 IIRC and

Why ext2 and not a journaling filesystem with better recovery tools (ie.
ext3 or xfs)? I would surely think if you had powerloss or if the usb
host died you would get some dataloss.

hard drive magnets davao UK diy 28 January 24th 07 01:39 PM
Repairing Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk sg Electronics Repair 6 December 22nd 04 06:09 AM
Sony VAIO PCG-K25 Notebook PC (2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD+/-RW Drive) Laptopmania Electronics 0 December 5th 04 03:43 PM
FA: Lot vintage hard drives mfm,scsi(Seagate/Rodime/Tandon) johnnymac2k Electronics Repair 3 September 1st 04 06:40 AM
format hard drive RubbishRat Electronics Repair 5 April 21st 04 06:05 AM