Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster Jerry Foster is offline

Default A little help from you military types ............

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:11:09 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Got my dad's military papers back ....

flight maintenenance gunner 748

30th Bomb Gp 270th Bomb Sq

Decorations and citations: Southern Philippines Luzon New Guinea

Bismarck
Archipelago Borneo Philippines Liberation Ribbon Good Conduct Ribbon
Southern Philippines Luzon New Guinea Bismarck
Archipelago Borneo Philippines Liberation Ribbon World
War II Victory Medal Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with One Silver
Service
Star ( A Silver Service Star is awarded in lieu of 5 Bronze Service

Stars
Sharpshooter Badge with Carbine and Pistol Bars WWII Honorable Service
Lapel
Button

Last rank, Sergeant, United States Air Corps
Service outside Continental US: 25 Apr 45 to 10 Nov 45

Help me understand my father, who I never understood in his life.

To me, it looks like something impressive.

He never spoke of it.

Thanks.

Steve

Based on 20 years of USAF service:

I can find no reference to a 270th Bomb Squadron of the 30th Bomb
group, however there was a 27th Bomb squadron. From what I can
discover the Group went to the Aleutians in 1941 and were assigned to
the Pacific Theater for the whole war. In 1945 they were flying out of
Guam or somewhere or perhaps Saipan.

As far as I can tell they were flying B-24's at the end of the war.

Reading off his job description he was an aircraft gunner.

Reading his service ribbons:

Southern Philippines Luzon New Guinea Bismarck
Archipelago Borneo Philippines Liberation Ribbon

This is a service medal and indicates that he was assigned to a unit
which in turn was assigned to the region at the time (probably) that
the Philippines were liberated.

Good Conduct Ribbon

This indicates that he had no disciplinary actions taken against him
for the period the medal was awarded for.

World War II Victory Medal

another service medal. Indicates that he was in the military at the
time WW-II was ended

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with One Silver Service
Star

Again a service medal indicating that he served in the Asiatic region
for some time. I am not sure what length of service was required for a
bronze star but he must have been there for quite a while.

Sharpshooter Badge with Carbine and Pistol Bars

Means he qualified as "Sharpshooter" with both a M-1 Carbine and a
1911 pistol. Rather unusual for Army Air Force personnel to have this
medal unless he was transferred from the Army.

WWII Honorable Service Lapel Button

What it says.

His rank of Sargent in the U.S. Air force would indicate that he was
serving in 1947 or later when the US Army Air Force became the U.S.
Air Force.

The rank of "Sargent" is not complete, I believe, as he should have
been a Staff, Technical or Master Sargent in 1947. A 3 striper was
called an airman 1st Class in those days.

From the information you provide I would guess that he was a member of
a bomber aircrew and flew in combat somewhere in then Asiatic region.
As a gunner on a bomber he would not normally be in line for a major
decoration as these were normally given to aircraft commanders.

His Good conduct medal indicates that he did not receive any formal
disciplinary action.

In short he sounds like a guy that did his job, didn't screw up and
lived through it. A good airman as the saying goes.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Thanks for the breakdown

I just quoted what I read from the papers I got. He was a "Sergeant" in

the
"Army of The United States", and was discharged on Nov. 22, 1945 according
to the Certification of Military Service, NA FORM 13038 (REV. 04-01)

Is there any way I can find out what he did to get the bronze stars? I
understand a lot of records were lost in a fire, and this one has burn

marks
on it.

Steve

A bronze star on a service (campaign) medal simply means it was awarded more
than once. A "campaign" is designated by a particular time period in a
particular
place. If one was in that place during any part of a particular "campaign,"
he is
given the medal. If he was there during more than one "campaign" period, he
simply adds the stars to it.

Jerry