Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default HF truck crane

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 03:55:05 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Jim
Wilkins quickly quoth:

On Oct 29, 10:02 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great.

....http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?
Itemnumber=1647

I bought the smaller one from Homier and made a removeable 4" pipe
extension and winch mount plus end pulley like the tall one for
appliances. Since you stand on the ground to operate the short one and
in the bed for the taller one, the short one is easier to operate on
sloping ground where the load wants to swing and the taller one is
better for stuffing in several pieces of heavy equipment, like moving
a friend's machine shop. The short one is fine for single items.

It mounts on steel cross bars held by the bed bolts so I didn't have
to modify the truck at all. Both the mounting bars and the suspension
of my Ranger were maxed out lifting a 700 Lb oak log behind the truck,
although they took it better within the bed.

It's a handy thing to have when welding up something heavy or to lift
a lawnmower or snow thrower up onto the tailgate to work on them.

I used mine like a tow truck and lift for my neighbor's Deere riding
lawnmower. His front end lost a balljoint so I roped the steering
column and foot pedals, hauled it in, and kept it on the "hook" to
replace the joints. Very handy. One drawback, I mounted it on the
right rear of the truck. That puts the pump bar close to the bedside
and isn't optimal. Luckily, until there is weight on it, the pump will
swivel around.

The winch/pulley combo is an addition I'm considering if I keep the
crane when I get the new truck.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.