Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1285 Ignoramus1285 is offline

Default HF truck crane

On 2007-10-30, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:59:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

On 2007-10-30, Gary Owens wrote:
I've got one, and used it until I sold the pickup. It worked. but was a pain
in the butt to use. You must have a truck with suspension that can handle
it. you need to secure it to the frame, not the truck floor. Lifting a small
V8 into the back of a Ranger was an experience. I ended putting jack stands
under the rear of the truck. The unit performed as advertized, the truck
didn't.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup, so I think that it would hold up to 1,000 lbs.

However, I am not sure if the bed would.

A Ford bed will, but I'm not sure about a Dodgy, er, Dodge bed, Ig.

I have a Chevy now.

Truck frames aren't built to support that kind of lateral stress,
either, though. It's all a crap shoot unless you use a 1T truck with a
utility bed on it. They're heavily built to handle the stresses.

I will look to see if I can find a steel plate that is wide than the
base of the crane.