Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default garbage disposal not working

wrote:
My In-sinkerator was working, then it suddenly stopped. When I turn
it on now, I hear a "hum" -- as if it is in fact turned on, but no
grinding or anything. I've read some tips, put a plunger handle in
there with the power off. It doesn't "seem" like it is clogged,
although I know that may not be the case. The "hum" when I turn it on
almost makes me believe that it turns on, but maybe the motor is
dead? It is about 12 years old.

Putting the plunger handle in is insufficient - you've got to be able to
TURN the turnable stuff inside the disposal.

Fuss with the handle and pressure in various directions until the innards
rotate.

If you can't get the guts to move, you can put a hex wrench on the axle from
the bottom and wiggle the shaft until it DOES turn.

Shine a light down the gizmo's throat. Do you see anything that might be
jamming it (spoon, engagement ring, bone, the missing cat)? If so use
someone's smallish hand to reach in and retrieve the item.

It's probably not a good idea to turn on the disposal with the hand (not
yours, of course) still inside. It's not as big a deal as you might think if
the instrument comes to life while various human appendages are in a
vulnerable position - there are no blades inside. Couple of broken fingers.
Tops.